We’ve had one game of 65 in the preseason and already I feel compelled to predict the outcome of every regular season NFL game. I guess that means I’m anxious to see some meaningful football for the first time since February!
These record predictions are subject to change based on preseason injuries, transactions, etc… but here’s my first stab at how the 32 teams should fare in 2017.
|New England Patriots**||16-0|
|New York Jets||0-16|
|Kansas City Chiefs*||10-6|
|Los Angeles Chargers||7-9|
|New York Giants**||11-5|
|Green Bay Packers**||12-4|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers**||11-5|
|New Orleans Saints||7-9|
|Los Angeles Rams||4-12|
|San Francisco 49ers||3-13|
A few thoughts based on the schedule analysis:
- Yes I picked a number of strange upsets but that’s how the NFL works…
- I have the Cardinals at 8-5 before losing their final three games. Imagine the frustration in this town if and when that happens…
- After a dreadful start to the season, look for the Rams to be among the most improved teams in November and December.
- New England should be favored in all 16 regular season games while the Jets should be underdogs in every one. I expect each team to do as the oddsmakers predict.
- Teams I think could very well outperform my predicted record: Denver, Miami, Minnesota, Indianapolis (depending on Andrew Luck’s health)
- Teams I predicted would do well but am not as high on: Carolina, Kansas City, and to a certain extent Pittsburgh (I’m not sure they’re a 13 win team but they’re still heavy favorites in the AFC North).
- I’ll make my official playoff predictions closer to the start of the season but as of now, a New England – Green Bay Super Bowl seems most probable.