Week 9 NFL Picks
Last Week: 8-6 Straight Up (SU), 6-8 Against the Spread (ATS)
Overall: 72-46-1 SU, 52-67 ATS
(Picks against the spread in parentheses; HOME TEAMS IN CAPS)
Green Bay Packers 24, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 20 (ATS: Packers -2.5)
Baltimore Ravens 23, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS 17 (ATS: Ravens -3.5)
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 34, Carolina Panthers 20 (ATS: Chiefs -10.5)
TENNESSEE TITANS 27, Chicago Bears 20 (ATS: Titans -5.5)
ATLANTA FALCONS 29, Denver Broncos 26 (ATS: Broncos +4.5)
MINNESOTA VIKINGS 31, Detroit Lions 23 (ATS: Vikings -4.5)
Houston Texans 28, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS 24 (ATS: Jaguars +6.5)
WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM 23, New York Giants 16 (ATS: Washington -3.5)
BUFFALO BILLS 31, Seattle Seahawks 28 (ATS: Bills +2.5)
LOS ANGELES CHARGERS 27, Las Vegas Raiders 24 (ATS: Chargers -1.5)
ARIZONA CARDINALS 26, Miami Dolphins 13 (ATS: Cardinals -4.5)
Pittsburgh Steelers 34, DALLAS COWBOYS 13 (ATS: Steelers -9.5)
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS 30, New Orleans Saints 23 (ATS: Bucs -4.5)
New England Patriots 23, NEW YORK JETS 16 (ATS: Jets +7.5)
5 Quick Thoughts on Week 9
1. I read some stat this week that midwestern teams on Thursday Night Football traveling west pretty much don’t win or cover. And in most cases I would’ve picked the 49ers to beat my Packers since they dominated twice last season. But SF is SO banged up and down to backups of backups…and though GB might not have a competent NFL healthy RB, I’ll take the Packers with the revenge angle on a short week.
2. This is the week Chicago goes back to Mitchell Trubisky. Nick Foles is a UofA guy and all…but he’s not a good NFL starting QB for the long haul.
3. Don’t count out the Football Team in a very, very weak NFC East. Their defense isn’t bad and surprisingly Kyle Allen can win football games as a starter. I love them with the points this week against a Giants team on a short week.
4. The Cardinals may be missing two key defensive contributors due to COVID…but I’m not buying into Tua-time just yet. That Cards line, if it stays there, seems very light.
5. At least we won’t have to see the BREAKING NEWS updates this week telling us that Drew Brees passed Tom Brady as the NFL’s all-time touchdown pass leader. Expect both players to raise their games in likely their last head-to-head matchup.
Week 9 Betting Locks
(Last Week’s Result, Season Record in Parentheses)
Favorite (LOSS, 4-4): Washington -3.5 vs. NY Giants
Underdog (WIN, 5-3): Jaguars +6.5 vs. Texans
Bet the Over (LOSS 3-5): Broncos / Falcons Over 50
Bet the Under (LOSS, 5-5): Packers / 49ers Under 50
EC’s Week 9 Pick 5 Selections:
Last Week: 3-2
Michigan -3.5 at Indiana
Texas -6.5 vs. West Virginia
Florida Atlantic -7 over Western Kentucky
Coastal Carolina -18 over South Alabama
Cal -1.5 vs. Washington
Washington Football Team -2.5 vs. NY Giants