It’s the end of the football season and honestly I feel weird about it.
No, it doesn’t have anything to do with my fantasy football hardships (7 leagues, 6 made the playoffs, 1 second place, 1 third place, the rest flamed out predictably)…
The college football season has just been strange. Some conferences started in September, others in October and November…in the end, I’m grateful there were games. But what a bizarre season…one hopefully which never looks this way again.
I laid out my bowl game feelings last week so no need to go over that again. For now here are are my five quick thoughts relating to the playoff picture for this week’s NFL games:
- The Cardinals will beat the Rams this weekend and make the playoffs (though they really don’t deserve to after a midseason collapse of sorts). And assuming Green Bay beats Chicago in this scenario, I won’t be surprised when the Cardinals give New Orleans all they can handle in the first round of the playoffs next weekend.
- The Rams have been decimated with injuries and will be dead money the rest of the way. Down Jared Goff and their top two RBs likely, I just don’t see how they can win another game under those circumstances.
- Philly is going to have a fun QB controversy this offseason after Jalen Hurts knocks the Washington Football Team out of the playoffs and the 9 loss Cowboys make the playoffs. (Note: I went back and forth three times on that last sentence between the Cowboys and Giants…but I’ll go with the team playing better right now). What an embarrassment the NFC East has been this season.
- No offense to them and their fans but the Dolphins really don’t belong as a playoff team this year. When Buffalo spanks them on Sunday, it will ensure the seven best teams in the AFC are truly in the playoffs (yes, that includes your team, Browns fans).
- I very well might be wrong with most if not all of what I just wrote…but either way, I’ll still be surprised if the Super Bowl isn’t between the Chiefs and Packers.
Since we’re down to the final week, the NFL takes center stage on Page 1 of this week’s blog entry. Some of these picks are wild because the unpredictability of meaningless games is just that…crazy:
Week 17 NFL Picks
Last Week: 11-5 Straight Up (SU), 6-10 Against the Spread (ATS)
Overall: 150-89-1 SU, 112-128 ATS
Last Year (2019): 157-98-1 SU, 128-128 ATS
(Picks against the spread in parentheses; HOME TEAMS IN CAPS)
Atlanta Falcons 23, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS 20 (ATS: Falcons +6.5)
Baltimore Ravens 33, CINCINNATI BENGALS 17 (ATS: Ravens -11.5)
Dallas Cowboys 27, NEW YORK GIANTS 23 (ATS: Cowboys -2.5)
BUFFALO BILLS 26, Miami Dolphins 13 (ATS: Bills -3.5)
Minnesota Vikings 27, DETROIT LIONS 17 (ATS: Vikings -6.5)
New York Jets 23, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 17 (ATS: Jets +3.5)
CLEVELAND BROWNS 27, Pittsburgh Steelers 10 (ATS: Browns -7.5)
Arizona Cardinals 20, LOS ANGELES RAMS 13 (ATS: Cardinals +1.5)
Green Bay Packers 30, CHICAGO BEARS 27 (ATS: Bears +5.5)
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS 34, Jacksonville Jaguars 16 (ATS: Colts -14.5)
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS 24, Los Angeles Chargers 21 (ATS: Chiefs +3.5)
Las Vegas Raiders 26, DENVER BRONCOS 21 (ATS: Raiders -2.5)
New Orleans Saints 24, CAROLINA PANTHERS 16 (ATS: Saints -6.5)
Seattle Seahawks 23, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS 16 (ATS: Seahawks -4.5)
Tennessee Titans 40, HOUSTON TEXANS 27 (ATS: Titans -7.5)
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 24, Washington Football Team 21
(ATS: Eagles +1.5)
Week 17 Betting Locks
(Last Week’s Result, Season Record in Parentheses)
Favorite (LOSS, 8-8): Browns -7.5 vs. Steelers
Underdog (WIN, 9-7): Falcons +6.5 vs. Bucs
Bet the Over (LOSS 6-10): Titans / Texans Over 56.5
Bet the Under (TIE, 9-6-1): Seahawks / 49ers Under 46
(Page 2: College Football Bowl Game ‘Expert’ Picks and my Pick 5)